Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Worst Fears

How many people actually know their real "worst fear"? The only time you seem to hear it mentioned is in the dialogue of a play, book, or movie. When someone actually tells you face to face that something is their worst fear it is usually something secondary like snakes. If you fear snakes there is a reason you fear them. It isn’t just the snake that you fear it is some perceived threat from the snake. Most often these "fears", snakes, spiders, etc, are actually disgusts. The snake disgusts you for whatever reason but what you fear is the threat of death or physical harm from the snake. Even that fear isn’t the root fear. If you fear the snake’s ability to cause harm or death are you not actually afraid of death and physical pain? I could understand if death was your worst fear, but snakes, they are only the embodiment of the root fear tied to disgust.
Me, I’m not sure I know my worst fear. I’m not sure I want to. The fears I can put into words are the ones already dealt with to a point. Wouldn’t your worst fear be the one you haven’t, can’t, or don’t want to deal with? So which is the better course of action? Do we search out our fears one by one until we’ve finally found our "worst fear"? If we do that what reasurance do we have that we will be better off afterwards, that we will be able to deal with the fears we cannot voice? Or is that why we cannot voice them, because we do not have the strength to deal with them. Are they simply a part of our phsici that we live with and that play an active role in shaping who we are? Even if we do not allow our conscience mind to know what it is the unconscience mind will allow it to affect our beliefs, choices, and actions. I understand that if a fear is so big in our concious mind that it is debilitating it needs to be dealt with. But those things that are not debilitating, that we are not even sure of the true nature ourselves, does focusing on them actually help? How many situations have been made worse by focusing on them in an attempt to "fix" them?

What we focus on affects our concious mind as much as those things we’ve buried in our subconcious so I vote to leave it buried. If I need to know about it I will. But right now I have better things to think on and silly things to worry about. Like how am I going to afford to go to Hawaii for a weekend in May?

1 Comments:

Blogger Ralikat said...

About that Hawai'i thing - as we talked about, you needn't worry about that. You can always be with us in spirit :)

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home